Alcohol Dependence and Abuse Counseling
Alcoholism Counseling for San Rafael, CA
If you believe you have a problem with alcohol and your life seems less than satisfactory, Paul Pribuss at Marin Drug Recovery in San Rafael is your resource for comfortable, immediate and experienced guidance through your alcohol addiction therapy.
The terminology varies; abuse, addiction, alcoholism, dependence, problem drinker, functioning alcoholic, but the problems are the same.
The definition is quite clear; alcoholism can be defined as drinking alcoholic beverages at a level that interferes with physical health, mental health and social family or job/school responsibilities.
The excuses pile up quickly;
- I only drink beer and wine
- I never drink more than 3 or 4
- I have a good job
- I never drink alone
- I’m not at "rock bottom"
- My friends drink more than I do
- I don’t get hangovers
- I don’t drink every day
- I’ve never had a DUI
"Paul certainly doesn’t sit back and wait, he is involved from the beginning. There is nothing like experience, it was obvious he had been there.” DS
- The World Health Organization estimates that there are 140 million alcoholics worldwide and describes alcoholism as a progressive disease. Progressive disease means the problem advances rather than retracts.
- Family participation doubles rehab success
- Alcohol is the most medically damaging of all drugs
Once in the depths of alcoholism, an individual has great difficulty breaking through the denial to achieve change or help. Frequently an alcoholic experiences some form of mishap before the addiction becomes obvious. Unfortunately their friends, family and associates have noticed or experienced the situation for years. Again, these mishaps can range from “seemingly” minor incidents to a major catastrophe.The concept of “bottom” is different for everyone and a choice does exist. It isn’t necessary to sober up in jail with a charge of vehicular manslaughter to finally recognize or admit change is necessary.
How devastating do you want your story to become before you seek help?
Treatment & Counseling for Alcoholics
“I never thought I was capable of ____________”.
Fill in the blank; the story can get pretty ugly.
If you believe you have a problem with alcohol and your life seems less than satisfactory, it may be worth taking a break and explore a better way to live. .Paul Pribuss at Marin Drug Recovery in Marin is your best resource for immediate, comfortable and experienced guidance.
Common Triggers or Warning Signs Leading to Relapse
- Stopping medications on one’s own or against the advice of medical professionals
- Hanging around old drinking haunts and drug using friends – slippery places
- Isolating – not attending meetings – not using the telephone for support
- Keeping alcohol, drugs, and paraphernalia around the house for any reason
- Obsessive thinking about using drugs or drinking
- Failing to follow ones treatment plan – quitting therapy – skipping doctors appointments
- Feeling overconfident – that you no longer need support
- Relationship difficulties – ongoing serious conflicts – a spouse who still uses
- Setting unrealistic goals – perfectionism – being too hard on ourselves
- Changes in eating and sleeping patterns, personal hygiene, or energy levels
- Feeling overwhelmed – confused – useless – stressed out
- Constant boredom – irritability – lack of routine and structure in life
- Sudden changes in psychiatric symptoms
- Dwelling on resentments and past hurts – anger – unresolved conflicts
- Avoidance – refusing to deal with personal issues and other problems of daily living
- Engaging in obsessive behaviors – workaholism – gambling – sexual excess and acting out
- Major life changes – loss – grief – trauma – painful emotions – new found wealth
- Ignoring relapse warning signs and triggers